brookfieldcitizens
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
brookfieldcitizens

brookfield citizens unite

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Last Night's Surrender Meeting

Go down 
+6
lindapanara
jleonhar
Smith4
cmingravera
sc
APEXBUTTER
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jay Hein

Last Night's Surrender Meeting Empty
PostSubject: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 3:56 am

For those of you not fortunate enough to attend the "lets surrender" meeting last night, here's the latest:

1. Apparently the self elected leader of the neighborhood has convinced a small group of blind followers that we should welcome the future felons of america into our neighborhood, why? Because apparently that's what God wants us to do.

2. I don't know what scenario you're looking at which makes the placement of a group home of individuals so violent and out of control that their own parents/guardians can't control them in our neighborhood is a good idea.

3. They say these kids aren't adjudicated....Of course there won't be any "adjudicated" kids in there you idiots, they don't put 8-12 year olds in jail unless they kill somebody. What do they do with them?? Well guess what? They're coming to live next door to you and your children...Oh, thats ok, Mentor minimum wage employees will be watching them closely.

4. The only course of action that has been effective to this point has been an overwheming negative response. Wern't you there? Not to mention this is about money, not kids, don't you know that?

5. These aren't "hurting" kids like ours. These aren't special needs kids, like some in our neighborhood, these aren't kids with learning disabilities, these are violent, "sexually reactive", out of control, disrespectfull, pre teens. Don't be lulled into some Norman Rockwell vision, these are kids that will kick your son or daughter in the face (after letting loose a string of profanities) because they looked at them funny.

6. In closing, you are living in a dream world if you think they are going to negotiate with you about what kind of employees are going to work there etc. They may placate you, but then they'll laugh at you after you leave the room.

7. Its a good thing you don't care about how much money you'll have after you die, because good luck selling your house next to these yahoos.

8. In closing, apparently we have different philosophies on life, but thats ok, that's why God put people like me on earth. He put peole like me here to make sure the clueless sheep aren't eaten by the wolves. If anyone wants me to represent the neighborhood at these "lets try to sucker the neighboor meetings" let me know. If I'm way of base from what everyone wants, this we'll be the last you hear about it from me.

Jay Heine
Back to top Go down
APEXBUTTER

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 4:50 am

jay, you have my vote!!! we need you in charge .from what it sounds like some folk are getting soft ..I was'nt at the meeting, but i heard what was handed out, and its sad that some of our neighbors are giving in .please take over and take charge, we have to continue to fight and not give up ....call me if you need me
Back to top Go down
sc

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 5:21 am

Hi, Jay.
What do you think our course of action should be?
We agree with you that this Group home is trouble, but according to one of the attorney who attended the Thursday meeting the only legal base we have is that the property was purchased under the false name, that about it,
So, knowing that what should we do at this point?
Alex and Lana.
Back to top Go down
brookie

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 am

Jay,
If you have the ability, please take charge, but it doesn't seem like you are doing much more then stiring the pot here with controversity. We should be working together as a community, but you are just tearing apart any work that people have done at this point by quickly attacking someone who is putting in their own time and energy to find out facts. I attended the small meeting on Sunday and it did not sound at all to me like a "surrendering". Thanks you to those who are doing hard work for our neighborhood, some of us really do appreciate your efforts.
Back to top Go down
cmingravera

PostSubject: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 11:57 am

Let us all come together as a community and privately air out our different approaches/strategies. We need all the voices we can muster on this issue.

I was very disappointed at the turnout. Many did not know about the meeting and some just gave up.

Jim and Jay are both decent hard-working men of high character. Let us not degenerate into dissension. TOGETHER we can affect change for the better......

PLEASE let us all meet again before we speak to anyone.......Unified we can do many things.

Let us agree to canvass the neighborhood and get the word out......
Back to top Go down
Jay Hein

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 12:16 pm

First, I want to take a second to apologisze to anyone that may have been offended by what I said in the above post. I was upset by what I perceived to be a major weakening on the position. I singled a few people out and that wasn't right. I am sorry for that. I know that some people have worked hard on this and that should be commended not attacked.

Having said that, my position stands firm.

To Alex and Lana: What do we do now? We can't beat them legally apparently (or so I've been told), but we haven't been defeated until they have moved in. Any negotiating prior to that is just supporting a defeatest position. What are we negotiating anyway??

I think that our best and only choice is to attack them politically. Specifically attack Greenwald, Lampitt, the Mayor, and the DYFS comissioner, get in their heads and keep the preassure on. Remind them that this is a bad idea and that the neighborhood belongs to us, not a for profit business. Remember, just because it's a law doesn't make it right...

I personally don't think discussing anything with Mentor is even worthwhile. They won't abandon this house, it's not financially in their best interest and to think anything else is nieve. The only way to keep them out it to keep DYFS from ever giving them the kids. What about the 6+ Million dollar contract? Well, I can assure you the state hasn't handed over the money in one big lump sum and there isn't a law stating that DYFS has to put any kids in this house.

Again, I'd be more than happy to represent Brookfield during this small group meeting, I won't back down and I'll keep the pressure on them. I won't allow us to get sidetracked on non-pertinent issues. Most importantly I won't allow them to convince me that this is ever going to be a good idea.

Jay
Back to top Go down
Smith4

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 10:39 pm

As I have said in previous post, I am a bleeding heart liberal with a Catholic guilt complex. I think I can understand the "what would Jesus do" attitude. However, it has taken this issue to make me realize that that is exactly the attitude the politicians want us to have, so they can push this down our throats. Jesus didn't have alot of trust in the authorities, nor do I.

Why do you think they are farming this operation out to a for profit company? So they can shirk the responsiblity for problems WHEN they arise at this house. Can you just image making a call to the State "Oh you have to contact the director of Mentor" and when you call Mentor "We are following the contract set forth by the state."

It is uncomfortable to have these discussions, the powers that be want to make this about us against children. It is not us against children it is about us against an underfunded, poorly managed, overburdend bureaucracy (DYFS) As well as a state and federal goverment that has approved a law that will allow homes like this to move into any neighborhood without the knowledge or cooperation of the local goverment, neighbors or schools.

They have laws on their side, we only have the power of negotiation on ours. If the state THINKS we are not going to welcome these children they may not put them here. Greenwald said as much at the community meeting. Remember in a negotiation you never want to tip your hand, in this case we don't want them to know/think we will accept this home. It doesn't matter whether we would or not. We want the state to think we won't. This is a poker game.

I consider myself of friend of Jay Heine and his family. For those of you who don't know him he is an xxxxxx [edited by admin]. So he is well versed in the workings of the goverment, and has a job that exposes him to the dregs of society on a daily basis. He understands the criminal justice system better that most. He bravado and singlemindedness on this issuse challenges my " can't we all just get along" attitude. It is easy to get along, it is hard to stand up and say "NO". I know that Jay will get up and say what I am to uncomfortable to say.

"If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything"

Nannette Smith
Back to top Go down
jleonhar

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 12:50 am

Lots of good points, but little to act on. From my perspective we need to Identify who are our voices to speak on behalf of Brookfield and ensure that all views are properly represented. I appears we all still do not agree with the home being in the development but are struggling on the approach to stop the occupancy. I see the red sticker is back up so they are obviously listening and still concerned. We need to stand our ground, even if the law it not on our side.

Is everyone still contacting their state and local representatives? It is important to keep them well aware of our position.
We need to mobilize more folks in the fight. We have the voices of less than 40 on this site, there were 300 at the meeting. 1000 people speak more loudly than 40. Please contact the neighbors and rally support. Unification is important. This forum is for information, pro or con
Have we made any progress on the major establishing a hard position? He stated if Mentor can guarantee safety he would support it, let’s hear that safety plan. There metrics on police calls were appalling (20%+) in there other houses. Once he establishes a position you have something to fight against. Today the politicians are playing both sides of the fence. They are waiting us out, to see if time heals wounds. We need to make it clear we are in for the long haul.

As far as negotiation points:
Have we as a community decided if we are willing to buy out the lease, provide compensation to Scotio and Mentor for cost incurred and take the loss on reselling of the house. For mentor they would simple go to a place with less resistance and incur no fiscal loss. They will think as a business. It is about the almightily dollar.
Less appealing but perhaps manageable to some
Set limits on the severity of children that could be placed in the home
Demand more supervision, 3 adults to 5 children
Real time monitoring to be available (at our cost, web cams perhaps)
Etc.
Back to top Go down
lindapanara

PostSubject: Thank you, Jay!!   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 2:41 am

I was not able to attend the meeting on Sunday, however, I completely agree with Jay Heine. We cannot give up. My daughter's 5th grade teacher just announced that they will be receiving a new 5th grader in their classroom on the second or third week of October. I am not sure if it is a resident of the house or not. How do we find out? Violence is not a pretty thing. I just lost my 32 year old sister in the end of July due to violence. Guess what, 5 weeks later there is still no answers, no car, an empty bank account and a motherless child. I think we should fight until the end to keep the trouble out of our neighborhood. Thank you Jay, for standing so firm for us and our children!! It is very much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
nbrook123

PostSubject: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2007 10:55 pm

i want to thank the person that finally put a copy of 'cherry hill group homes' letter in my mail box. i finally have something concrete to work w/about this horrendous situation.

could anyone please update me about any decision that may have been made about the w. brookfield house. the copy of the letter placed in my mailbox said the decision was 'coming down' the end of the week of 9/16. which is this week.

i would like to get involved. i would like to be a voice heard, if necessary too assist in representing the cause that is totally against any concept of such a house in our neighborhood.

if someone would please post how i could get involved, maybe meet, and brought up to speed, perhaps i can be of some assistance.
Back to top Go down
nbrook123

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2007 10:57 pm

ps: the date time stamp seems to be off by 12 hrs. 9:55 pm vs. 9:55 am. does the admin of this site have the ability to correct this?
Back to top Go down
gornowski

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 1:31 am

I placed about 1 every 3 houses (and ran out after 50 and no where near got even the Brookfield neighborhood otherwise any other development), hoping that it would get the ball rolling to flood the Commiss's email. Making copies or emailing them (email me (gornowski@comcast.net) and I'll attach my copy for you to email to everyone you may elicit help from). I emailed a bunch of people from the emails on this site. I got all of my co-workers, too, this week, to try and help me out. 5 is better than 50, 50 better than 500, etcetera. Even if you don't live in Cherry Hill, why not express how you feel for even a direct family member or friend or co-worker that may be in this awful web of issues and fear.

Thanks for helping out. Don't give up.

Maureen
1109 W. Valleybrook Road
Back to top Go down
jim.scheiner

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 11:49 am

I finally got to look at this site after about a week. It's been difficult at work and I haven't been able to make calls during the day. I have also had a lot of work at night since I my daughter is moving back in with us and is due on Tuesday with our second grandchild. With that said, I'm sorry I haven't kept up.

I read Jay's blast. Please don't take anything I said as giving up. I believe that God made all kids, me included. All kids deserve a break and I've had plenty of them. However, the problem here is not about kids and never has been. Our neighborhood loves kids. Otherwise we would not be fighting so hard to protect them. The real problem is about the deception that has been used to sneak this facility into our neighborhood. NJ Mentor is a corporation contracted to the state. Both NJ Mentor and the state must be made accountable, after all we are citizens with rights.

Many misconstrue talk of God and compassion as weak. I figure if God was able to create this universe, asking for His help can only be a good thing. His words speak of compassion, but they also speak of defending ourselves against injustice. I have updated the presentation I plan to use at the small group meeting with NJ Mentor and the State. I will provide you a copy upon request, however, I prefer to keep this information private to neighborhood residents only at this time. I will not post the presentation for that reason.

With that said, if my views are not consistent with the neighborhood's, I didn't get elected. I just spoke up and tried to organize the neighborhood. If the neighborhood needs a different spokesman, I'll be relieved. It's been a lot to juggle. I do feel that I understand what the majority of people of the neighborhood are looking for and have come up with viable measures to get part of what we are looking for since we don't have any legal alternatives.
Back to top Go down
AndyB

PostSubject: Group Home   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:32 am

I don't believe we should ever give up. At the meeting someone mentioned picketing the house, which is something that should be mentioned to DYFS and anyone else we are contacting. They need to know that we will make is so uncomforable for them and the residents that they will never even THINK about moving into that house. That being said, has anyone checked to see if a "legitimate" red sticker has been replaced on the door of the house? Also, has a date and time for this "small group meeting," with NJ Mentor and DYFS been established? I want to be there, as should any concerned citizen within our community. We can not forget that it is not only the children that there are safety concerns with, as NJ Mentor intends to bring the parents into the neighborhood to "reunite the family units." A large number of these parents are drug addicted or have just come out of a prison environment, and we're going to have them in our safe family community. This is not acceptable. For all of you who are working so hard on this issue thank you.
Back to top Go down
gornowski

PostSubject: WE HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY LETTER/ FROM STATE OF NJ (9/17)   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:55 am

In my mailbox today (9/17) is a letter from the State of NJ, Dept. of Children and Families, signed by Carole Dortch-Wright, Deputy Director, which reads:

===============================================

September 14, 2007

Dear Resident,

As a resident living in the direct vicinity of the home NJ Mentor is planning ot use to serve children with special needs, we want to meet and talk with you directly.

It is important to us to address any questions or concerns you may have.

Please contact me personally by cell 609-273-9635 or in the office at 609-341-3601. Even if you are not interested in a sit down meeting, I would still like to speak with you briefly at your earliest convenience. I am available during the day, evenings and weekends. I look forward to you call.

Sincerely,
Carole Dortch-Wright
Deputy Director

==============================================

Gornowski
1109 W. Valleybrook Rd.

==============================================
Back to top Go down
sc

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 4:10 am

I guess they "forgot" that this house has two sides and the front part as well.
Back to top Go down
sc

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 4:11 am

I guess they "forgot" that this house has two sides and the front part as well.
Back to top Go down
mooreaem33

PostSubject: same letter.   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 8:10 am

I got the same letter today 9/17 and was wondering besides the gornowski's and myself who else received the letter.
Back to top Go down
Smith4

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:07 am

I did not receive a letter, I live next door to someone who did. I also have yet to hear from the state. I was called last week and told I would be contacted this week regarding a meeting. I left my work number and home. 11am on Tues no call yet

Nannette
Back to top Go down
gornowski

PostSubject: 9/18 Convo with State of NJ/Deputy Dir./Dept. of Child &   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 3:23 am

I spoke today (Sept. 15th) with Carole Dortch-Wright, Deputy Director, State of NJ (carole.dortchwright@dcf.state.nj.us), who reports to Mary Helen Cervantes. This is in response to her “Dear Resident” letter of Sept. 14th that was placed in a few mailboxes yesterday, at her direction, by NJMentor [I made her aware that the Chenet Family on the other side at 1105 did not get a letter]. I first and foremost asked if the Commissioner has made a decision, to which she replied that he has not. That’s why she sent the letter and she felt it important to hear our concerns and questions. She is doing her job and looking into this. I asked if she was in Trenton or based in NJ. She said Trenton. I asked her if she had visually seen and been to the property. She said she had not. I asked if this was related to the Tues. 7PM meeting with NJMentor; she was not aware of that but would look into it. I told her that I personally was not interested in meeting with NJMentor (but would), and would prefer to meet with her and the Commissioner or any other State of NJ official with authority [‘Mentor works for you, you work for us.’] I stated that I would be happy to be a liaison, now and in the future, for the State of NJ and possibly even a volunteer to help ensure that municipalities and communities approach this web in a much more professional, efficient and human manner for all. I mentioned how Horizon House approaches immediate neighbors with information before an all out fear and safety panic is made. I made it clear that 1107 is not a home to do this business in, i.e. 24 feet from my house to door, 50 feet from my door to door with woods behind the property, water easement, pool, child care homecaretakers with 5 houses. I stated that there needs to be more space between homes. I also said the property picker-outer-inspector should be fired. I mentioned that both homes are on the west side of Rt. 295, contrary to equal distribution belief, and that Brookfield is the only neighborhood on the west side that is deemed east education by map. If the State is gonna mandate this to any municipality anywhere, then distribute equally. I mentioned that this is not the run of the mill group home and should be categorized differently. I also mentioned the 17 cars two days in a row set off red bells and phone calls and my dog barking incessantly is not too discrete or welcoming. Yes, we did agree that everyone is not against this (even 5-10 houses away would not be as severely affected), I merely stated that for me, it is drastic and that the State should be willing to give special dispensation/credit for some property owners more directly affected.

When I asked for a copy of the contract between the State and Mentor, Carole Dortch-Wright said she would send me a copy of the RFP (Request For Proposal) contract by pdf/email.

I also stated that I know why such an operation would sneak in …. but this outright deception will never be forgiven or forgotten and needs to be corrected before the start of this new NJ program. She promised to get back to me. I made it clear that this will never be acceptable to the Gornowskis and I encouraged her to figure out a way to get it done in a much better way for all and that our Brookfield neighbors and forum would be happy to meet with her to present our power point presentation.

All in all, I liked her. She totally did not placate me. I look forward to our next conversation. She clearly stated that she has been directed to investigate, report and recommend to her superior, Mary Ann Cervantes, and in turn, Cervantes’ superior, Commissioner Ryan.

=================
Maureen
@ 1109
9/18/07
=================
Back to top Go down
Cindy &a

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 4:07 am

Maureen,
I received the letter yesterday as well. Thank you for calling and finding out much more information and passing it along to the rest of us. Mike and I are interested in attending the small group meeting with the rest of the "closest" neighbors and finding out what else they have to say to us..... Keep us updated..Thanks..
Cindy & Mike
1104 Valleybrook
Back to top Go down
sc

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 6:02 am

We just got letter in today's mail, what was interesting that it was not sealed envelope.
So, I will be calling that person later today or tomorrow morning to make it clear to her that this house in not and will never be welcomed by us (1105).
Maurine, thank you for the information and for keeping us updated.
Lana, Alex.
Back to top Go down
Smith4

PostSubject: Should we call her ourselves   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 11:52 pm

Maureen; Do you think we should call her ourselves so she can get an idea of the opposition to this. My objection is less from the neighborhood standpoint but that these kids will be in school with my children, where they will not have 24/7 line of site supervision.

Let me know, back to work Friday then out of touch till Sunday.
Back to top Go down
gornowski

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:25 pm

I absolutely think you should call her. The more calls and emails to anyone who will hear your voice, the better.

"Please know that you can call me. I really look forward to meeting you.

Carole Dortch-Wright
609-273-9635 Cell
609-499-1806 Home"

Anyone else who didn't receive a letter and would like to speak with Carole, I encourage you to do so.

Maureen
9/22
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Night's Surrender Meeting   Last Night's Surrender Meeting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Last Night's Surrender Meeting
Page 1 of 1